Thursday, November 4, 2010

nevermind

Completely disregard everything I said in the last post. Instead of sending us home, they moved us to the infant unit so that the gastroenterologists could get to know Jacob, because they will take over when we go home. I absolutely despise the infant unit. The nurses have 3 patients and all of the babies are in private rooms, which means if I am not there he just lays in his crib all day. But not to worry, they check on him at least every two hours. Pretty sure if I only checked on him every two hours at home I would have child protective services on my doorstep. I made a big stink and now the therapist from the NICU is coming down to play with him every day she works, and she is sending all kinds of other people so at least he gets out of bed and is stimulated some of the time.
Not real happy with the Dr situation either. They completely changed his feeds when they moved us. Now he gets 30ml/hr through the feeding tube and his bottles were decreased to 10 mls every three hours, just enough to tick him off. They also added formula to the milk to give him more calories. Since they did this he has been pooping WAY too much, and has lost weight every day. They put him back on IV fluids last night. The Dr still thinks he is going to send us home tomorrow. (insert string of profanities here). I really want to go home, but not if we are going to have to turn around and come right back. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to send him home while he was losing weight (duh) and he said there is only so much that can be done with Jacob bowel, and that if when we come back for our follow up appointment he still isn't gaining weight that he will send us home on TPN. Can I get a new Dr please?

2 comments:

  1. Oh the frustration! I'd like to come whoop someone for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry...I know the feeling, but keep fighting for him---YOU know what's best for him and don't shove your "gut feelings" aside for the Dr's. Put up a fight, HE IS YOURS! They did this to Brinnlie when she started "puking up her feeds" and they NJ tubed her for 2 weeks...she went from taking full feeds orally to not taking anything, and since has struggled. I ignored my gut feeling about times/feeds, and oh how I wish I would have fought harder! She probably wouldn't be needing her NG tube now. One good thing about coming home, we work with our pediatrition who listens to our concerns and we have made strides with her feedings. She has her caloric daily intake that we make sure she meets, but we aren't "force" feeding every 3 hours.
    Just some thoughts, hang in there.
    Thinking of you and your little man!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete